DR AANAND ACHARYA – VICE PRESIDENT
MA, MBBS, FRCS, FRACS
Dr Aanand Acharya qualified from the University of Cambridge (UK) and the Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine (UK) and completed his basic and specialist surgical training in the UK where he is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (England) and a qualified Consultant Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon.
He moved to Perth in 2013 with his family to participate in a competitively appointed subspecialist clinical fellowship in Otology, Neurotology and Skull Base surgery and in 2015 was appointed to the position of consultant ENT surgeon at Fiona Stanley Hospital, Royal Perth Hospital and the South West Health Campus in Bunbury (comprising Bunbury Regional Hospital and St John of God Hospital Bunbury). He is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
As well as delivering clinical services Dr Acharya has an interest in clinical and translational research:
- Numerous peer reviewed publications and textbook chapters
- Regular Peer Reviewer for a number of high impact specialist journals
- Active involvement in coordinating current clinical trials
As an International Medical Graduate working in both Metropolitan and Regional hospitals in WA, and with active participation in rural and remote outreach ENT programs, Dr Acharya believes he would be well placed to contribute positively to the committee position for which he has been nominated. He has experience of committee participation, occupying a number of positions during his training, including:
- Secretary and subsequently President of the Sidney Sussex College Medical Society (University of Cambridge)
- Junior Doctor Representative on hospital Local Negotiating Committees
- Trainee Representative on the West Midlands Deanery Higher Surgical Training Committee
- Trainee Representative to Council for the Midland Institute of Otolaryngology
He maintains active memberships of a number of professional and specialist associations including the Australian Society of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery.
Dr Acharya has also completed a Master’s Degree in Management from the Durham Business School (University of Durham, UK).